7.28.2013

100 Steps

I stumbled upon this old blog as I was going in to set up a new one. I ended up reading it from start to finish and, by the end, I decided that I would just pick this one back up and start again. It seems fitting...because here we go again. My ongoing and constant battle with myself over health and fitness seems to be a roller coaster ride. I'm back up, weight-wise, to where I was when I first started this and honestly - I broke into tears when I read the old entry about getting under 200 and how "I'm never going to have a "2" in front of my weight ever again". Yeah...notsomuch. There's really just no excuse for it. I was so proud of myself and had worked so hard. I really thought I had overcome my demons. or at least tamed them a little. So...here we go again. I was going to call this blog "100 Steps" because that's the way I'm starting this time. I run 100 steps, then walk until I catch my breath, then run another 100 steps. Repeat. And I repeat over and over until I've gone 3 miles. I figure, that way, I don't get in a rut over my landmarks, as I tend to do ("I'll run until I get to that fence", "I'll run to THAT mailbox...") When I do that, I get stuck in routes. This way, any three mile route can be translated into this technique. Next time I run, 110 steps, still with a 3 mile route. Then 125, then 150 and so on. Eventually, I'll get to the point that I can't count it (it's amazing how hard it is to count your steps while listening to music you like). I'll figure that out when I get to that point. Yesterday was 100 steps. Next run, I'll increase. There's no denying that I'm embarrassed and horrified that I've let my weight creep back. I don't know what's going to click one day to make this work. But, I will keep trying. A significant thing has changed in my life. My youngest son goes off to high school this year. That means, no more carpooling in the morning since his older brother is going to be driving him to school. I don't have to be at work until 9am, so there's absolutely no excuse to NOT exercise in the morning. If I can't give myself one hour a day for myself - for my own health - then I really am pathetic.

No comments: